Monday, January 9, 2012

Supernatural!

No, it's not ghosts, but it is a mani inspired by the supernatural. I wanted to try to find something a little less common, so rather than go with ghosts or haunting kinds of things, I went with something that was way supernatural in the past, but is kinda known nowadays. I chose St. Elmo's Fire, and tried to make it look like it was against the night sky.

St. Elmo’s fire sometimes looks similar to lightning but it is a separate meteorological phenomenon. Although called “fire,” St. Elmo’s fire is a luminous plasma that can glow a bright blue or violet. It can also appear like an eerie fire burning at the top of tall, pointed structures like ship masts or aircraft wings. It has also been reported on leaves, grass, and tips of cattle horns during a stampede.

Unlike the thunderous boom which follows lightning, St. Elmo’s fire can be heard “singing” on an aircraft’s radio, a frying hiss or buzzing sound running up and down the musical scale. It is often as a precursor to a lightning strike.

Sailors would regard St. Elmo’s fire with religious awe, an omen of heavenly intervention. It was named after St. Erasmus of Formiae, the patron saint of sailors. It has been recorded over the centuries, starting with the ancient Greeks, Julius Caesar, Columbus and Magellan. After Benjamin Franklin’s lightning rod, the phenomenon was seen more on land, sparking fear as the ghostly blue flames inspired stories of spirits and hauntings.

If you'd like to read more about it, and see some pictures, then just click on this sentence. Then, I'd love it if you'd check out my interpretation of St. Elmo's Fire on my nails.



I started with Revlon Mistletoe, which I thought was kinda like a stormy sky.

I love this polish. Two coats was way plenty.

It went on smoothly and didn't drag or pool.

Cleanup was easy too.

Then I used Whiter Than White and Prismatic White to make the lighting effect.

First was the white, for the basic electricity part. Then the Essence glowy color to try and look like lightningm or the 'fire'.

I'm really quite happy with how it turned out. What do you think?

I tried to make it look like it was continuing across the other nails.

I'd like to think you can almost hear the singing electricity when you look at this. Hee. Okay, so I have a vivid imagination.

Wow, we're down to the last two days of the challenge, and then I'll have to pick and choose what I do myself. Luckily I have friends who often ask for certain manis, and/or request certain colors.

0 burst into song!:

Post a Comment

Comments make me do the Happy Dance, so leave one and I'll sure answer as soon as I can.