Friday, April 2, 2010

Onions have layers!

But this post is not about onions. It's about nail polish. I love layering different colors for different effects, and that's what I'm going to share with you today. So without further ado, these are some layering combinations.


I really like the look of a flaky polish layered over something dark. This one reminds me of fall foliage.
Silver glitter almost always looks good over any dark color. There are quite a few nice glitter top coats out there.
Big chunky glitter can look good over most anything. It's harder to work with than say, small glitter, or a glitter top coat, but often worth it.
Sometimes a polish that looks great on it's own also looks really nice layered over another color. Here you can see how a polish looks on its own, and what happens when you layer it over another color.
Often if a polish is too sheer for me (I tend not to like to see my nail through polish), I can just add a glitter over it, and it makes me happy.
I'm not one to wear neutral colors much, but add some bling, and I like them a lot more. This one is a combination that you could wear when you need your nails to be a bit subdued, but you really want some sparkle.
Layering a glitter polish over a similarly colored creme can make for a fantastic color with depth and sparkle.
Sometimes glitter doesn't have to match to look fun. Often putting glitter over a polish will make the glitter appear to be a different color.
A light glitter over a dark color can look absolutely fantastic, as well as bringing out more color than you might see in the dark color alone.
Here's another one of the flaky polishes over a dark color. I think it looks a lot like coral in the ocean.

You may have noticed that I have VERY few repeats of the same color (similar maybe, but not the same). That would be because I have a very large collection of polish. Large enough that people have gotten offended at it. Which I don't really understand, since it's not like it hurts anybody. Not only that, but I'm willing to share! Okay, no, I won't give up some of my favorites, but if it's not something I love, I'm just as likely to give it away as I am to keep it. But that's another story for another day.

0 burst into song!:

Post a Comment

Comments make me do the Happy Dance, so leave one and I'll sure answer as soon as I can.